I’m absolutely into my thirties now. Don’t get me wrong, I know I’m still young. But I’ve noticed I do grunt a little more here and there, and I don’t have the energy that I had just a few years ago. But I know there’s someone out there that would read that and go, “you ain’t seen nothin’ yet” or “Thirty-one? You’re still a kid”. I know, I know…
Anyway, to celebrate thirty-one years of existence on Earth, I called up Karl and asked if he wanted to head down to the marsh. He was happy to join me, so we made a plan for Friday morning.
Upon arriving at the launch site on Friday, we were met with wind, wind, and wind. The water levels were about average (and tide rising slowly), and water quality was less-than-stellar. It wasn’t “chocolate milk” muddy, but it wasn’t as clean as I’ve seen it before. We, of course, still made a go at it.
It didn’t take long for Karl to get hooked up first. He was throwing a Whopper Plopper over a grass line on a wind-protected bank.
With tons of shrimp jumping out of the water, I decided to change up lures to a Z-man shrimp. It took a while for me to find a fish that would bite it, but I did. It was late morning by that point, and I had found the cleanest water of the day over a large grass flat. After spooking a few fish, I decided to sit and blindcast the shrimp. I’d anchor down and fish for about 10 minutes, then drift to a different location and repeat.
When I met back up with Karl, I found out he’d had some success throwing a Ginger Avenger Inline Spinnerbait. Ready to change it up, but lacking the lure (I’ve got a few packs of Ginger Avengers sitting on my desk at home), I tied on a traditional redfish spinnerbait. First cast with it came back with a little red!
By now it was noon and we knew we needed to head in before the temperature became more unbearable.
Later that afternoon I took River to fish the ditch behind our house. We’ve been picking off bream but we’ll occasionally see a small bass but haven’t gotten them to bite. But last night I spotted one and he bit the lure twice without getting hooked but on the third time… well, I’ve never been so happy to catch a 10″ bass. Sorry, no pics on that one!
- Jackson Kayak Cruise FD (Eli)
- Jackson Kayak Big Rig (Karl)
- Werner Paddles (Cyprus Hooked & Tybee Hooked)
- Ginger Avenger Weedless Inline Spinnerbait (Karl)
- Z-Man Rigged EZ Shrimpz – Greasy Prawn (Eli)
- H&H Redfish Spinnerbait w/ Vortex Shad (Eli)
- Rivers2Sea Whopper Plopper 90 (Karl)
My Rod/Reel Combos
- 13 Fishing Omen Green 6’8″ Medium – Fast (Casting) / 13 Fishing Concept TX 6.6:1
- 13 Fishing Omen Green 7′ Medium – Fast (Spinning) / Shimano Nasci 2500
- St. Croix Premier 7’ Medium Fast (Spinning) / Shimano Stradic 2500
- St. Croix TideMaster 6’6″ Medium-Heavy Fast (Casting) / 13 Fishing Concept C
- FINS Windtamer 20 lb.
- FINS 40G 25 lb.
- Gamma Fluorocarbon Leader 16 lb. (when needed)